Sunday, August 24, 2008

The beach is one of our most favorite places to go on vacation. In July we set out for one of our annual summer trips to San Diego. We got about an hour and a half out of Mesa and the A/C blew on our Suburban. Brent, knowing the "wimpiness" of all his family, instantly turned around and headed for home. It was about 110 degrees already and we still would have had hours to go. He rolled down the windows and within just a matter of minutes the troops started an uprising. I have to admit I thought that my face and hair were going to burst into flames any moment! (one of those times we ask ourselves why we live in the desert) Anyway, we got home, took the car to a friend that is also a mechanic. He was hoping it was just a hose, but that would be way too easy. It was the compressor that needed to be replaced, to the tune of about 1,500.00 dollars! That put a damper on things in a hurry. We had reservations that were non refundable and we would have to wait 3 days to get the car back. O.K., on to plan "B". Brent's folks happen to be leaving the next morning on a church history trip. They were so sweet to give us their car that evening so we could unload and load and be on our way with just one day missed at the beach. I have to say we are very fortunate to have such wonderful family and friends. It only took a few hours and there were people from the ward offering up one of their vehicles so the bishop and his family could get out of town. I was concerned about a road trip without a dvd player! I know it seems silly but the main two reasons we purchased the suburban were because of the dvd player and everyone could have space without touching anyone else.:-) That was also taken care of by friends who so willingly offered up portable dvd players, each of our kids ended up with their own player to watch whatever they wanted too. (boy, if the pioneers could hear this) but If you know us you know how Brent and I hate to drive. We dislike it even more when we have unhappy children so entertainment is imperative!!! We finally made it to San Diego, just one day late. We had a wonderful time at Coronado beach. In all the years we have gone to Cali. never have we been to Coronado beach! It was beautiful! Brent and the big girls enjoy countless hours of body surfing and boogy boarding, and I stay on the sand with the little ones, building sand castles and looking for shells. I am not much for the dark ocean water, one touch of seaweed to my bare skin and it gives me the Hebe gee bees! It works out well that Brent happens to love the water. He and his teenagers stay out there for what seems days. The memories that we make on these trips are priceless to us. Life gets so hectic, I am sure grateful to the person that invented vacations!:-) After a few days on the beach we were off to enjoy the gorgeous resort in Palm Desert. (the only place hotter than the valley) The accommodations are so nice there. It was very relaxed. We spent hours at the pool and watching the Disney channel. For me however it was the HGTV channel. Since we do not have cable I look forward to that when we go out of town. Such simple minds:-) Its so nice to get away from the every day demands on our time, great bonding for dad and his kids:-)

Posted by Picasa

No comments: